Wednesday 17 September 2014

Update time...

I haven't written a blog post in quite some time so thought I would get back into blogging.

Quite a lot has happened since the last time I really blogged properly, I guess I could call this blog a kind of update on my life and everything that is happening.

At the end of December I wrote a blog about my first experience of having a seizure. If you want to read about it here's a link to that particular blog post: http://memyselfandi2294.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/medical-updates.html
Quite a lot of people do experience a single, isolated seizure within their lives so my first seizure, although at the time was terrifying for those having to watch, wasn't taken too seriously. I mean that in the sense that I was given prompt treatment during the seizure and I was referred within days to a neurologist for "first seizure clinic". I was then referred for an EEG test. An EEG, for anyone that would like to know, is a test which tracks your brain waves. You get little sticky pads put on your head which are secured with a special type of gel. The pads are then hooked up to a machine which can track your brain activity. It is a test which is often used in helping to diagnose epilepsy. You may be asked to do particular breathing exercises or stare at flashing lights. My EEG was determined normal and I was discharged from neurology. After being discharged I suffered a further 3 seizures. One was during late December 2013, shortly after my first seizure, at a birthday party. The next was during April 2014 and the last was during July 2014. I was referred back to the same neurologist where I was diagnosed with epilepsy.

What is the different between an epileptic seizure and a seizure you may ask? Our brains constantly send messages throughout our brain. To make sure they don't get confused and cause our body harm they go in a particular pattern. During an epileptic seizure the brains sends out messages all at the one time. The seizures can be partial, this means only part of the brain is affected, these are things like: simple partial seizures and complex partial seizures. Then there's generalised seizures, these affect the entire brain, these are things like absence seizures, tonic seizures and tonic clonic (these used to be known as grand-mal) seizures. Tonic clonic seizures are the type of seizures which are commonly thought of when someone has a seizure. The person will go completely stiff and rigid (this is the tonic stage) then their body will go lose and they will go into the clonic stage where they suffer from convulsions. During this type of seizure the person can have difficulty breathing, can bite their tongue and can become incontinent. The type of seizure I suffer from is tonic clonic seizures. These are often described as the most scariest type of seizures for others as often during other seizures people do not realise the person is having a seizure. During a tonic-clonic seizure it is very obvious. The person is unconcious throughout the whole event, in my opinion I am glad that I am not concious as it's something I wouldn't want to experience consciously. Around 70% of people suffering from epilepsy have their seizures controlled by the first anti-epileptic drug they try. Thus far I have been living within the 70% of people. I am on an anti-epileptic drug which hopefully will continue to work for me.

On a completely different note, due to being off University so much during my 1st year I was supposed to sit re-sit exams during July in order to hopefully go onto 2nd year. Unfortunately I was in hospital during the time I was supposed to sit the resit exams and was unable to do this. My case was referred to the Programme Board of Examiners within my University to decide what the next steps would be in my academic career. The decision was published on August 29th that I would be allowed to repeat my 1st year of University. The relief that flooded me when I was given the decision is something I physically cannot begin to explain.

The difference between this year and last is that I am in Student Accommodation this year. The accommodation is lovely. It's basically brand new built, only one other year of students has lived in it. Each bedroom has an ensuite and we all share a kitchen. My new flat mates are really nice. I'm sharing with all girls and there are 8 of us in total. We get along really well and I'm sure this will continue.

I am determined to do well this year. I tried so hard last year but unfortunately sometimes your best doesn't quite cut it. I'm really proud of myself though. The module I did manage to pass I was awarded a merit (this is the highest mark awarded at my University in a module).

I don't know how this year is going to go but *fingers crossed* it goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment