Wednesday 4 June 2014

Dear Dr/Nurse (Good and bad healthcare experiences)

Over my 5 years of chronic illness I have had both negative and positive experiences regarding health care. Here I write letters to some of the healthcare professionals whom I have been treated by. I have left no identifying factors as I am never going to name and shame as I am keeping it confidential. I am extremely grateful to the NHS and could not ask for more than they mostly give me. At times though I feel I have been mistreated...

Dear Dr,
You've been treating me for over 2 years now and it's certainly been a bumpy 2 years. At first you were my favourite doctor, I'd been waiting for somebody who understood my condition and made me feel better about it. However as time has gone by I've felt more and more like you just don't want to know. I know you felt it was in my best interests but you have no clue how it felt for me when you said to me I needed to be seen by psych. It made me feel like you didn't believe me...like you thought all my symptoms were simply in my head. I felt at that particular moment like no one understood. I tried to tell you but it just seemed like you didn't want to listen. I've cried so many times over the referrals to psych because it makes me feel crazy...it genuinely feels like I'm going insane. If my condition wasn't real then why would other doctors treat me like it was? If my symptoms were all in my head or "panic attacks" then why would other medical staff treat me for a real condition? I don't really know what to think anymore. I'm scared because I hate landing in hospital in fear of seeing you again and nobody should have to feel that way about their doctor. No one should have to feel like they have got to avoid their doctor. I wish some how the shoe could be on the other foot...even for an hour then maybe just maybe you would see it from my point of view. You would see my symptoms are not all in my head, you would see how some of the things you have said make me feel.

Dear Dr,
I never have actually properly seen you. I was meant to have an appointment with you but unfortunately due to me being admitted to hospital at the time and a massive mix up I arrived half an hour late for my appointment. At first you seemed nice and friendly and in a way I was glad to have you as a doctor. Then you sent me for a test and when it was normal...you did not even contact me to tell me. I was supposed to see you back in clinic but you discharged me without even telling me and wrote in my notes which my doctor's surgery received that my symptoms were all in my head. Do you have idea how that made me feel? I cried for hours on end because I was just so god damn fed up! I am not making it up! My parents, nurses at the hospital, doctors at the hospital, my friends and my boyfriend have all seen me go through what I go through and yet still you seem to think there is nothing wrong with me.

Dear Dr,
You've been my doctor since I was a little girl and you truly are an amazing person. You have always treated me accordingly depending on my age. Now I'm 20 years old when I see you, you talk to me like I'm an adult, you don't dismiss me or patronise me. You say that I know my body and my conditions better than any doctor does. You make me feel welcome. I feel like you truly understand me and that I have a bond with you. Out of all my doctors I would say that you are definitely my favourite. You never seem to judge me or think I am complaining about things. You treat me like a patient should be treated.

Dear Dr,
You looked at me and said I was fine to go home...why is it that 4 hours later I ended up back in hospital fighting for my life and ended up in high dependency for 3 nights? I trusted you and you broke that trust.

Dear Nurse,
You suffer from the condition you treat me from and therefore I feel I can truly understand you. Talking with you doesn't feel like talking to a health professional but like talking to a friend, someone who will listen. You listen to what I have to say even if it isn't medical related. You make time for me and never rush me along. You always treat me as a person and not as a patient. You make me feel at complete ease talking to you and I truly couldn't wish for a lovelier person.

Dear Nurse,
I've known you since I was a little girl and you're so lovely and caring. You always express a genuine interest in my well being and smile at me whenever you see me. You talk to me like a young adult and never patronise me. You make me feel at ease whenever I see you as well as relaxed. You give me options on different things and make everything seem even that little bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment